110 Queen Street is a mixed-use development offering retail and office space totalling an impressive 224,000ft² encased within a concave façade of curtain wall glazing, located on the site of the former Bank of Scotland Building in Glasgow City Centre.
The building reinstates the building line of Ingram Street and Queen Street whilst enhancing pedestrian flow from Buchanan Street to the Merchant City - via a rounded form and street level retail.
The curvature of the building makes reference to the curved corner form of the 1839 David and James Hamilton building which formerly occupied the site prior to the construction of the 1960’s bank building. The south west and south east corners of the building build upon this historic precedent and deliver an appropriate contemporary and urban response at these important city corners. At a pedestrian and ground floor level the softer building form enhances pedestrian flow and the quality of the new urban realm to the forecourt and perimeter of the building.
The upper portion of the rear elevation, which is prominent from George Square, comprises a wall of dark grey metal panels, ostensibly to visually marry with the lead roofing of Lomond House.